Monday, February 2, 2009

Squirrels & Beer

There comes a time when each blogger comes into harmony with the title of his or her said blog... Today is that day. Below you will see the remnants of squirrel #69. That's right, I ate one.



If you can't tell from the pictures, I only used the legs. The squirrels are so small that actually breaking down the animal is rather difficult. Especially when your butchery is regulated to the backyard patio and a plastic cutting board. I've had this guy in the freezer for about 6 weeks or so until I gathered up the gumption to actually defrost it and cook it. Part of my encouragement came from a New York Times article on squirrel cookery in Great Britain. Turns out that squirrels are being served on restaurant tables all over the country and people are loving it. You can read the article for more interesting and useful squirrel cookery information.

I cooked this squirrel in a very simple braise of carrots, onion, celery, garlic, and herbs. The braising liquid was of course... beer (and a little water). I used a Redhook Winter Hook brew with plenty of good flavor. The squirrel was pretty damn good - not at all gamey or musky. While avoiding the "it tastes like chicken" cliche, if I were to compare it to other meats I've had in the past, I would say it is most similar to rabbit with a hint of squirrel, I guess! So next time you're in the mood for something different, stop on by our house. I'll try to keep a squirrel or 2 in the freezer for some drop-in dinner guests.

3 comments:

kb said...

eww dude...

Brody said...

Are city squirrels safe to eat? I have a squirrel problem and would love to be "green" and fix my problem in an environmentally-friendly and delicious way.

Drew Kleinhans said...

I'd be more worried about the mercury content in tuna more than I would be about a squirrel that eats bugs and nuts in my backyard. Now... if I fed the squirrels tuna then we might have a problem.

Seriously though, I live in an older area where trees are abundant and natural food for these squirrels is everywhere. These are not grimy street squirrels from a back alley. And hey, if New Jersey squirrels are safe, then Roswell squirrels must be damn near gourmet...

Read this if you don't believe me.